Sunday, May 23, 2004

Mirror, market, maroon.

1. I have inherited some grown-up things from my grandmother. It includes a slightly battered gilt mirror - decorated with dancing girls and a smug-looking shepherd lounging on a couch playing the flute. It arrived in my flat yesterday and is now standing on the mantlepiece. My neighbour Fenella came round to inspect it and didn't quite know what to say. 'It's very... it looks like something out of the palace of Louis 14th.' We agreed that it didn't quite go with the rest of the flat... but how can I not love it? The rest of the flat will change - it'll have to if I'm to use another of the grown-up things: the 14-man dinner service.

2. A French market came to the Pantiles for the weekend. I went round with my aunt, Janey. We bought sausages and admired oilcloths and breathed in caramel from the sweet stall. Then we bought chicken and potatoes provencal and ate them on a sunny step.

3. My grandmother's garden has run wild for the last few months. It has put out paeonies of astonishing vulgarity. They are an intense, luminous maroon - the sort that you see in pigeon's feathers.

Done, moon and Irish fairy tales.

1. A meeting that is over by 9.30am. 2. A big full moon is stuck on next door's chimney pots. 3. By my bed is a large and comforting boo...