Friday, March 18, 2022

Doors open, trap and book.

1. At coffee time it's warm enough to have the back door open and we can hear birdsong.

2. I lay a trap for grumpy Bettany, who won't talk to me. I go upstairs and turn to a YouTube video of Li Ziqi making maltose lollipops and crunchy fried dough twists. In due course my sulky child comes upstairs and sits on my lap.

3. The children chose a book that I wasn't sure about -- Noah's Island by Frank Cotterell-Boyce. It's about a school trip stranded on an island in the Atlantic because they've broken the internet, and it's all rather surreal and feels a bit contrived. But the characters are rock-solid convincing, and I'm really starting to care.

Voting, brownie and listening time.

1. The way polling stations appear overnight, apparently constructed from office supplies, and then vanish again at the end of the day. 2. T...