Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Tipping, evening library and jonqs.

1. At the crossing a mother tips her pushchair backwards to make her daughter giggle. 'I used to do that to you,' I say to Bettany. 

'I know. I liked it.'

2. Nick has been gloating about going to the library after the tutoring drop-off. Today I've finished early, and it's my turn to go. I sit for half an hour by the window with an enormous art book that is far too big for us to own at home. Life in Bruges and Venice continues. People talk quietly. Someone plays the piano.

3. Coming in from the cold to a warm room scented with jonquils. Nick is not so fond, but they won't last forever.

Two left, weeding and wisteria.

1. There are just two Jaffacakes left, so I have them. 2. The crackling, popping sound of weeds lifting out of gravel. 3. While the kettle b...