Sunday, September 01, 2013

No alarms, someone else making supper and long stories.

1. Grilling food here sets off the smoke alarm so we don't bother any more. It occurs to me that I could cook the lamb chops that have been haunting my dreams on a disposable barbecue. So we do, and they are delicious.

2. I am feeding Bettany so I can't make supper. Nick produces perfect beans on toast for Alec and me as if by magic.

3. We are a bit puzzled by Alec's enthusiasm for Beatrix Potter's Pigling Bland, a frankly disturbing tale of pig theft and imprisonment. And the gory tale of Squirrel Nutkin with the offerings of dead mice and moles. And for the convoluted stories about Little Grey Rabbit. It dawns on us that these stories are all long -- the cunning little devil is determined to stretch out storytime by any means possible. I suppose I prefer a lengthy story to potty requests that yield just a thimbleful of wee; and the pathetic 'I huuuuunnnnnngry' or the heart-rending 'I wait for Daddy to come'.

9 comments:

  1. But children love the gory! Remember Struwwelpeter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pigling isn't gory -- it's plain scary. He has to go away from his mummy and then gets lost (which is Alec's worst nightmare).

      Delete
    2. No doubt yours too, I still have dreams...

      Delete
  2. I can relate to a preference for long stories. There was a strict maximum on books from the monthly bookmobile visits to my school (I think the Catholic school I attended for only two years) and not much in the school library, so I always looked for the biggest books to try to make the reading last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Beatrix Potter, but I'm surprised your little guy has the patience for her tales; they are looong.

    My mama used to make beans on toast. I haven't had it since childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- long and complicated, but he is just determined to make bedtime spin out for as long as possible.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Grill = broil here. I think what you are thinking of would be called barbecuing here.

      Delete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.