Thursday, February 16, 2006

Pancakes, up the table leg, one fish two fish, drummer boy and greens.

1. Pancakes with cinnamon, sugar and lime.

2. There was also a dish of golden syrup. It made a ring on the table and ants came to drink from it, lining up round the edge like little cattle.

3. Lake Malawi is described as being like a giant aquarium -- we saw little blue fish and some spotted ones.

4. Andi from Kande gave me a drumming lesson in his shop. He and his friends gather on the full moon for a few beers and bonfire on the beach. I tell him that I do the same with my friends sometimes -- we go to the woods though.

5. One of the souvenir sellers tells me that they roll joints out of maize leaves. ‘Do you get the munchies?’ I ask. He laughs. ‘It’s best right before dinner and then you can go home and eat two platefuls.’

Kande Beach, Malawi

Eggshell, turkey oak and grateful.

1. Smacking a hardboiled egg to break the shell. 2. Pale green leaves on the huge oak tree at the corner of The Grove. 3. There is nothing q...