Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Rain by day, waterbabies, local gossip and miracle cake.

1. It has been raining at night, but I wanted to see some rain falling by day. And I got it -- much to Anne’s disgust. I was forced to spend most of the morning sitting in Soft Sands Cafe eating chocolate cake.

2. There is an island about 500m from the shore. From the moment we saw it, Rosey and I knew we would have to swim to it. After a lot of umming and ahhing -- can probably make it there, but don’t know about back -- we set out, accompanied by Other Claire. It was a good slog, but we made it and felt very pleased with ourselves -- not one of the men thought they could do it. We clambered all over the rocks, gossiping with the local boys who had paddled out on their canoes and having our swimming prowess admired by a lady tourist. Once we were rested, we swam back without any trouble at all.

3. Andy from Kande telling me about the crazy old hermit who lived on the island. He came from Andy’s village, maybe 70 years ago and decided he wanted to live on the island. There was plenty of fish, and plenty of water, but not much else. He relied on people occasionally visiting him with other supplies. The headman of the village asked him to come back to the mainland, but he refused. Then one day the weather was so bad that no-one could get to him for five days. After that, he was more willing to leave.

4. A mysterious pot had been boiling on Francis’ camp stove all afternoon. ‘What’s in there?’ He shook his head and grinned. It turned out to be a beautiful brown cake. I would never have believed that it had been steamed, not baked, if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.

Kande Beach, Malawi

In the pond, spotted leaves and better kind of chocolate spread.

1. No tadpoles that I can see -- but something flips in the water just beyond my field of focus. 2. I take the muddy path so I can check on ...