Thursday, June 22, 2023

What I want, Chalet School and even more beautiful things.

1. I take half an hour to read something that I want to read.

2. A friend who often sends me items of interest from his own researches has picked out some quotes from Elinor M. Brent Dyer's Chalet School -- because of course, the family is called Bettany. I realise that  our own Bettany has no idea that such a thing as the Chalet School series exists. She's starting to read more complicated books, and likes girl-led narratives, so I very much enjoy telling her all about it.

3. A most wonderful birthday present: a large old fashioned book, rather loose in the bindings, called A Thousand Beautiful Things by Arthur Mee. It's an anthology of poems, quotes and pictures. In the introduction, it says you could let it fall open at random and find something to enjoy. At bedtime, I have some quiet time to enjoy it.

Obscure reference, corn beef hash and that chocolate.

1. Today's episode of Zombies Run!  opens with a reference to an Australian improv show, which I only know about because of my habit of ...