Friday, January 21, 2005

Grin, influence and washing.

1. Going to the dentist because they always say kind things about my teeth and how well I take care of them. Possibly they do this to everyone as an encouragement, but it's always satisfying to be told you are doing something right.

2. For Christmas my little sister gave me Golddiggas, Headnodders & Pholk Songs by Beautiful South and I've been listening ever since. It's an album of covers, including This Will be Our Year by The Zombies. Chris at work dug out a copy of the obscure album Odyssey and Oracle so I could have a listen to the original.

3. The mountain of laundry that came back from the holiday has for the last week been not clean when I need it, tangling round my feet in the kitchen, sloshing, thumping and whizzing in the washing machine, steaming up the windows and draped over every surface. But finally the sleeping bag and the skiing trousers are dry; everything that needs ironing has been flattened and crammed back in the cupboards. And I can go back to a clean shirt every day. Hurrah.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...