Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I believe, reclaim the streets and Rose.

1. My blue radio. The story of how I got the battery-powered radio in my bathroom makes me believe in magic. Two moves ago, I was packing the last of my stuff and getting ready to give the flat a good clean. I was quite sorry to be leaving that place and felt a bit lonely without all my stuff around, so I wasn't looking forward to dusting skirting boards and swabbing out the fridge. 'If only I had a radio,' I said aloud to the echoey walls. Just then, there was a knock at the door. 'Parcel for you,' said the postman, handing me a jiffy bag. Inside was the blue radio and a pack of batteries. There was no card and no return address. I never did find out where it came from.

2. Watching snow racing down the High Street. There is something about a coating of snow that makes people walk where they want - I saw several umbrellaed commuters strolling right down the middle of the road. Perhaps there were fewer cars than normal and they were driving slower; or perhaps people just like making footprints.

3. Rosey, who shares a student kitchen, was making her lunch for tomorrow while we chatted on the phone. 'Where have my crisps gone? They've forgotten to put the salt and vinegar ones in this variety pack. Or did I eat them?' It didn't even occur to her - as it would have to me - that one of her housemates might have 'borrowed' them.

Escape, tulips and samosa.

1. This morning, I'm piling into a car with friends to escape into the Weald, where we will visit a garden planted with 45,000 tulips. 2...