Sunday, September 03, 2006

Big shopping, safe and second thoughts.

1. Putting an offer in on a house. I have to pretend it's a game: otherwise it's all too upsetting if it doesn't work out, and paralysingly scary because of the amounts of money involved. It's also like shopping with other people's money as most of the purchase price is picked up by the mortgage.

2. Sitting inside while the rain blows horizontally down the street outside.

3. Last week I said my favourite moment in all the Star Wars films is in A New Hope between the end of the Fox Fanfare and the first notes of the Star Wars March. This week, it's when Princess Leia calls Han Solo a stuck-up, scruffy-looking nurf herder. No, wait, it's not. It's when Yoda says 'Do or do not. There is no try.' Or possibly when Darth Vader says 'Apology accepted, Captain Needa,' and then steps over the captain's strangled body. No, on second thoughts, these are beautiful things, but I think last week's moment is still my all-time favourite.

Bud vase, tomato and the poem I needed to hear.

1. Among the faded cut daffodils that I'm putting on the compost heap there is one that will do for another day in a bud vase. 2. For th...