Thursday, October 14, 2010

Enough, twist and Barbara Pym.

1. There is quite a lot of lemon curd left in the bottom of the bowl -- not enough to put in a jar; but enough to go on top of my yoghurt at lunchtime.

2. Downton Abbey -- we watched Sunday's episode, with its jaw-dropping I-did-not-see-that-coming plot twist.

3. I wish I could remember who suggested Barbara Pym's books -- I picked up Jane and Prudence and I think it's wonderful - a steely account of 1950s middle class match-making.. The quote on the cover is from Philip Larkin, who lays aside his curmudgeonly cynicism to say that he'd rather read a new Barbara Pym than a new Jane Austen. Lucky, lucky Barbara Pym.

6 comments:

  1. I love Barbara Pym - I did an interview on somebody else's blog a few months back where I waxed lyrical about her but I doubt you read it. Excellent Women is my personal favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks interesting. I'll have to see if I can find it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do give us a link, Mr London Street! I'm so excited to have found a 'new' author I like. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to wade through a bit of other stuff but I mentioned her in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosebud -- drop me an email with an address and I'll post you my copy.

    Mr London Street -- that's a great interview. And I'm glad you like Barbara Pym, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago I read all Barbara Pym."Excellent Woman" stands out in my memory as one of the best. Her canvas is small but her treatment of a particular section of modest and unambitious English middle class life is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.