Saturday, March 19, 2005

Silver lining, manco and IZ.

1. My boiler is broken, but not so badly that I need a new one.

2. My Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More soundtrack LP. The stranger sneers satisfactorily from the cover and while it is playing the cold, damp English spring fades into the dry heat of Mexico.

3. Coming home from work and finding a new Interzone on the doormat. I love short story magazines, because short stories should be ephemeral. A throw-away medium allows writers to experiment; and it encourages the reader to dip in - if it's rubbish, what matters it? It's just twenty minutes of your life. I love sci-fi, too - specially the English sort.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...