Monday, May 23, 2005

Map, bread and bluebells.

1. Maps. Tunbridge Wells lies on the corner of three Ordnance Survey Maps. I bought the second yesterday - it's the southwest corner. I love looking at the contours and imagining the lumps and wrinkles in the land. And I like the place names, too - Plumyfeather Farm, Little Wigsell, Friar's Gate, Jumper's Town, Chuck Hatch.

2. A sandwich made with walnut bread. I like the nubbliness of nuts in bread - it gives you something to think about while you eat. I had ham salad, but something walnut-friendly like soft cheese would have been even better.

3. I've missed the bluebells this year, but while walking on Ashdown Forest, I found a late patch - they must be on the cold side of the hill, because everywhere else they are looking a bit tired. These were fresh as anything and the smell was wonderful. It has all the sweetness and sharpness of hyacinths, but it's less overbearing.

Escape, tulips and samosa.

1. This morning, I'm piling into a car with friends to escape into the Weald, where we will visit a garden planted with 45,000 tulips. 2...