Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Know-all, writing and celebration.

1. An omniscient narrator. I know it's not fashionable and is considered very patronising and Victorian, but I'm loving the voice of whoever tells the story of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Anyone got an idea of who they might be?

2. Robert turning up unexpectedly with an article he is putting together about living in his van. His writing has improved, and he has some good thoughts and pictures going. We talk about where he might send it and how to cast it for each market.

3. The waitresses bring my pudding with a little pink candle stuck in the top -- but whether James told them we were celebrating my birthday; or whether they overheard us talking, I cannot tell.

Book treasure, worn and speaker.

1. Finding treasure in the Oxfam bookshop. I only popped in to look for a card. 2. Bettany doesn't wear makeup out and about, but noneth...