Friday, June 16, 2006

School run, foxgloves and blonde.

1. Children walking to school with their dads.

2. The foxgloves are out now. The unopened buds are covered in fine silky hair; and the flowers are a pinky-purple with white-ringed brown spots inside. They are a huge hit with the bees, and I stood on the path listening to the contented hum, which has got to be one of my favourite noises. Photograph by Michael Grant

3. I had a deep conditioning treatment on my hair -- I had to sit with my head swaddled in clingfilm under a heater reading Hello. The beautiful thing is the way it changed the colour of my hair -- it's gone slightly more ash blonder than it was before.

I thought of another beautiful thing, but I'm not going to number it because I've had COMPLAINTS in the past if I do too many things. I was walking home from work just as an England World Cup match was starting, and everyone was hurrying (except me) to get to a TV. There were people crowded outside the electronics shop on Chapel Place; and people piled up against the open window of the Grape Vine, which has a big screen.

Filler, thirsty and in the north.

1. Smearing a bit of filler into the holes in Alec's bedroom wall where we've taken out screws and fixings. We're summoning the ...