Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Nappies, making friends with Jane and not taking my own counsel.

1. Two parcels of fluffy white nappies from The Nappy Lady. We have taken her advice and chosen a package that will suit us, and I hope we are disciplined enough to keep them up. I'm not happy about the amount of waste generated by disposables; and I've also heard worrying things about a gentleman's vital parts overheating.

2. My book club is reading Emma -- I've always struggled with Jane Austen, and I've always wanted very much like her. It's a bit like when you meet someone at a club or a class that you think you'd like, but somehow always getting off on the wrong foot. Reading Emma under book club rules has given us a second chance at being friends.

3. I brought the washing in because it looked as if it might tip down. It made us late for class. It didn't rain, though; and this is annoying, but in retrospect a good thing, as I never thought about wet weather gear for the pram, or for me.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...