Saturday, August 02, 2014

Traveller's tales, why and supper outside.

1. I put out a call for company on Facebook and a jet-lagged friend steps up. Bettany conks out, Alec is content to play by himself for a few minutes and it is good to just catch up and hear a traveller's tales.

2. "Why are the sofa cushions in the garden?" I ask Alec who is playing with a toy butterfly.
"Ice," he says. "This butterfly must go from ice flow to ice flow on its long journey, while this female," he holds up a plastic stegasaurus, "is looking for its mate over here," he indicates a green plush hippo by the kitchen radiator.
This is what I get for letting a David Attenborough documentary babysit.

3. I can't tell you how much I loathe eating outdoors, but it did shake things up a bit so that everyone came to the table without a fuss, ate plenty without arguing and the clearing up afterwards was minimal.

Poached egg, acer and bramble.

1. Carefully opening my poached egg so the yolk runs on to the toast. 2. The acer tree -- lime green edged with crimson. 3. Bramble shoots, ...