Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hands, pie and found food.

1. I call Anna up to clarify a commission she's given me, and she says that I'm a safe pair of hands. "A safe but interesting pair of hands," she adds quickly.

2. The Mississippi mud pie has one slice missing. "That was us," said the server. "We had to try it, and it was delicious."

3. I am sitting in the kitchen chatting to the health visitor when out of the corner of my eye I spot Alec picking up something from under the highchair and putting it in his mouth. I freeze. Do I call him out and risk drawing her attention to it? Or leave it and appear neglectful? She can't not have seen -- he's right at her feet. So I ask him (quite calmly) what he's eating. The health visitor laughs it off: "Something off the floor? Oh lovely."

Escape, tulips and samosa.

1. This morning, I'm piling into a car with friends to escape into the Weald, where we will visit a garden planted with 45,000 tulips. 2...