Friday, August 10, 2012

Fizz, working outside and Thursday tea.

1. The simmering vinegary water in which I am about to poach our breakfast eggs fizzes when I stir it up with a wooden spoon.

2. It occurred to me today: I've always wished that I had a job that would strongly encourage me to work outside in good weather. I was pulling up sharp-scented weeds in the front garden during Alec's naptime when I realised that I had my wish.

3. While Alec is at nursery, we go out for tea and sit outside watching Thursday afternoon go by.

2 comments:

  1. I need to learn to poach eggs . . .
    I do like the way you shape your day to weather and moods!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, it's very easy to poach an egg, and it's my favourite egg cooking method.

    The egg should be as fresh as you can manage, if it is older than a few days, it will be a bit messy.

    Get a tall pan of water boiling and add a good splash of vinegar (this helps it hold together, for older eggs, add more) and a bit of salt (for flavour).

    Stir the simmering water round into a whirlpool and break the egg into it. The whirling holds it all together. Then set a timer for three minutes and step away from the pan. Don't touch, don't stir. Just watch to make sure it doesn't overboil, in which case turn down the heat.

    After three minutes, lift the egg out with a slotted spoon. It should be lacy rags, with a golden yolk (still liquid in the middle) caught up in it. If you like your eggs more solid, experiment with the timings, up to four minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.