Thursday, August 30, 2012

The post, not scared and the way to a man's heart.

1. The post brings a letter from Jen in the North* and a parcel containing a strange blue wobbly thing for Alec.

2. I was worried that I'd scared Alec with the blue wobbly thing -- because he kept jumping back whenever I squeezed it to make it puff up, and whenever I shook it to make the tentacle-hairs ripple. But when we get back in from the park, he immediately asked for lulu. When I said I didn't know what a lulu was, he went and pulled the blue wobbly thing out of Nick's slipper.

3. "New dishcloths," says Nick.** "You really know how to make me happy."

* She included her Three Beautiful Things:
1. To get the bus somewhere and take in the scenery after years of car driving and not having time.
2. Changing seasons: As I walk the dog, the sun shines but I can smell Autumn coming from Scotland (My Dad says it starts there first).
3. Meeting. To pour out your problems and worries in a room full of people who have the same ones.

**He'd got over the blue wobbly thing by this point.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...