Friday, September 11, 2009

Action points, adventures and true crime.

1. I tell the job centre officer that I used my blog and Twitter to look for work, which makes him laugh -- and it counts as one of my action points.

2. We have dinner with He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named and hear all about his escapades: a blog about Crowborough, his bounteous allotment and a mission to cycle round the coast of Britain.

3. I'm really enjoying Jasper Fforde's The Big Over Easy -- Det Insp Jack Spratt is trying to investigate the murder of Humpty Dumpty. But it's not so much crime he's fighting as his colleagues and the system. In particular the ambitious Friedland Chymes will stop at nothing to make the case his his own in order to raise his profile in the popular true crime magazines -- or does he have something to hide as well.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...