Saturday, February 09, 2013

Alone in bed, borrowing a baby and a bit of peace.

1. Just before 6am I wake up. I'm still up in the study, but alone. Nick has given up his bed so I can have a solid night's sleep.

2. To borrow a real baby for a few minutes and to hear him laughing when I bounce him on my knee.

3. When I get to nursery the room is full of cross, tired children and cross, tired parents. It's all boots and coats and waiting. Alec is in the corner drawing on the blackboard and doesn't see me come in. I watch him until, turning round to get more chalk, he spots me. It feels as if we are the only quietly absorbed people in the room.


Box of books, lighter coat and child asleep.

1. There is a heavy box of new books waiting on the stairs. 2.  There's a warmth to the air that makes me wonder if I should have put on...