Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Missives, leaves and three vases.

1. Getting a sweet email from James in Australia. He has moved out there to get married, and I'm saving up all my days off so I can go down to the wedding. He hopes that my disasterous lovelife will clear 'all obstacles for marriage to an aussie heartthrob with no physical flaws, allowing for your stay in aus to extend into the unknown future and keep me company.'

2. The wind turning the leaves on the lime trees so they flickered glossy dark green and chalky pale green.

3. The hall where my writer's circle meets is a place that makes you feel very small and unloved. We rattle around rather, and the severe acoustics are hard on any attempts at merriment. This week, however, one of the other groups that uses it had left three vases of flowers. One contained an unbelievable blowsey peony - shocking pink with egg-yolk-yellow stamens. We put them out on the tables and for an evening, the hall seemed more welcoming. Perhaps next time we'll bring our own flowers.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...