Monday, June 21, 2004

Timing, toad, patience and a rainbow.

1. We walked through the woods to lunch at The High Rocks. As we arrived, the first few drops of rain fell. It quickly turned into a proper downpour, which lasted until they brought our coffee. After lunch, we walked back to town through sparkly clean woods.

2. Over lunch I complained that I had never seen a toad in my life. As we walked back through the woods, a big, fat warty one in mackingtosh fawn and chocolate brown spots crawled across our path.

3. Jay drove a gang of us down to Cuckmere Haven for a night's camping. Jon, who organised it all, is one of the worst backseat drivers I have ever met - mainly, I think, because he was in a seriously destructive accident several years ago. Jay, who passed his test not long ago, was superhumanly patient with Jon's commentary.

4. As it was my birthday, you get a bonus beautiful thing - the rainbow that followed us out of town.

Escape, tulips and samosa.

1. This morning, I'm piling into a car with friends to escape into the Weald, where we will visit a garden planted with 45,000 tulips. 2...