Friday, March 13, 2009

30 days, virtue and a comparison.

1. The number of unread items in my spam box is going down by itself -- the 30-day auto delete has kicked in because I haven't looked in there for a month. This is good, because one of my new year's resolutions was to stop checking the spam folder. The Google system makes mistakes so rarely that a daily wallow in mails from people who peddle filth and misery is not worth it. My other resolution -- to stop reading the depressing Have Your Say message boards on the BBC -- is going well, too.

2. I hold up my cotton bag for my purchases, and the shop man smiles and says: 'Good girl.'

3. I skim over my copy of the Watchmen graphic novel to compare it with the film I saw last night.

Bud vase, tomato and the poem I needed to hear.

1. Among the faded cut daffodils that I'm putting on the compost heap there is one that will do for another day in a bud vase. 2. For th...