Sunday, March 08, 2009

Macarons, more for your money and take a bow.

Mr London Street dropped me a line saying that his latest entry Friday Night's Alright for Fighting was three beautiful things about his weekend. It doesn't have the requisite numbering; or the x, y and z title format; but it made me laugh, so I thought some of you might appreciate it, too.

1. Two macarons from the market stall. 'Will we have them with our tea?' Nick wants to know.
'No, we're having them now,' I say.

2. I do my sums and pick out two books on life in the Arctic,* regretfully leaving a third (the diaries of a whaler's wife**). I take them to the counter and offer up my £15. The lady says: 'They're £2 each -- we've got a sale on.' I snatch up the third book and feel very lucky indeed.***

3. At the end of the baseball game, the Japanese and Korean players bow to each other.

*Don't ask -- it's one of those puzzling obsessions that sometimes grab one.
** It's a Moby Dick thing.
***There was a copy of Christian the Lion, which I would have liked, but because I know the story of the two Australian backpackers who bought a lion cub in Harrods, I left it for someone else.

Bud vase, tomato and the poem I needed to hear.

1. Among the faded cut daffodils that I'm putting on the compost heap there is one that will do for another day in a bud vase. 2. For th...