Sunday, February 28, 2010

Steaks, cake and sweeping.

I've got a post at Encounters With Remarkable Biscuits. While you're there, can I direct you to this piece about a recipe collection? I enjoyed it very much, and I hope you will, too.

1. The butcher holds up two steaks. "These OK?"

1.5. We pass two men talking: "The thing is mate, when you're working, you're doing what the rest of us want to do when we're not working, and we all think you live the life of Riley."
"I know, but I'm still working and it really gets me when..."
"I know, but we still think you're living the life of Riley."
And they pass out of earshot.
"What was his job, Nick? What does he do?"

2. Nick has been having an afternoon nap. I wake him to show him his birthday cake -- chocolate with red jam inside, dusted with icing sugar and lit with gold and silver candles.


3. The sound of my husband using a dustpan and brush to sweep dust from the spot on the hall carpet where the bookshelf used to be.

Box of books, lighter coat and child asleep.

1. There is a heavy box of new books waiting on the stairs. 2.  There's a warmth to the air that makes me wonder if I should have put on...