Thursday, July 29, 2010

Flood, done and dinner.

1. I'm close to finishing Stephen Baxter's Flood, which I've enjoyed very much. It's an epic about a global flood, seen mostly through the eyes of a group of former hostages linked by a promise to look out for each other. They come under the wing of a super-rich businessman who is determined to keep his genetic line and philosophy alive. I've got a bit of a soft spot for post-apocalypse fiction -- does anyone have any recommendations to add to this Amazon list which I started at some time or other?

2. I like to see the score marks from yesterday's to-do list pressed through on to today's.

3. Nick takes me out for tapas "because we haven't been out for a while."

4 comments:

  1. I've got a bit of a soft spot for post-apocalypse fiction

    Me too! Both post-apocalypse and during-apocalypse stories.

    I've added Flood to my (mental) to-read list - the flooding angle is like the end of Wyndham's "The Kraken Wakes", which is one of my favourite books, so I'd be interested to find out how someone else explores the idea.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing score lines from the previous to do list coming through the current one. :-)

    Had quite a good month of positive things! http://talesfromthelilypad.blogspot.com/2010/07/6-positive-things-this-month-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Post-Apocalyptic book is actually for youth... The Secret Under My Skin, by Janet McNaughton.

    It follows a young girl who's lived on the streets (a couple of hundred years post-apocalypse, and only about fifteen years since the "technocaust.") with gangs of children, and now is part of a children's work camp headed by the government. At least here, she gets two meals a day, and showers once a week, and best of all-- she gets to read poetry.

    While the government holds tight authoritarian control since the "technocaust," it is the Women's Weavers Guild that has kept the idea of democracy alive. But the work camps know nothing of democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Catechresis -- I'll add The Secret Under My Skin to my list.

    Just today my friend Adam has flagged up on Facebook a blogpost of his about the apocolypse -- he says it's happening right now, all around us.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.