Friday, December 31, 2010

All clear, time to kill and going up.

1. The paediatrician finally makes it round to my bed for Alexander's pre-discharge examination. "I'm very pleased to see you", is the first thing I say, so relieved am I at the thought of going home.

2. I lie in the dim blue light of my cubicle enjoy Alexander's company while I wait.

2b. The father from the next bed who showed us how to correct the straps on our mystifying carseat.

3. I bring my son to the very top of the house as soon as we come in. This is important to ensure he goes up in the world. I am crying by the time I get to the attic, and he looks at me with wide, curious eyes.

4. Katie has left a parcel of tiny treats for a tearful new mother.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your Son. May he continue to bring you joy and happiness. May your 2011 be blessed with an abundance of beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, you are going to be a wonderful mother. Alexander is lucky to have such amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bit about taking him up to the top of the house. Are you sure you're not a secret shamaness?!
    Oh and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anything more wonderful than celebrating the New Year at home for the first time with your brand new son?

    2011 will be a very special year for you all but this is a very precious New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be amazed at all the things you will learn this year.
    Just enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. Enjoy every moment with Alexander. It goes so quickly. And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the birth of your son, Clare! I've never heard of taking your newborn to the top of the house so s/he'll go up in the world, but it's a cool idea and symbolism!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm reminded of the scene in Roots, in which the father holds his son up to the starry heavens and says, "Behold the only thing greater than you are" or words to that effect.

    I'm learning from you. Didn't realize there were male midwives in the world.

    Whichever reader warned that time goes so quickly.... I can only add a resounding AMEN. My 3 babies are hovering in the 50 year old range and it seems they arrived in this world only yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.