Thursday, May 31, 2012

Anecdotes, pub bub and time to look.

1. Now that I am a grown-up, I can call my parents' friends out on their anecdotes. "Did that actually happen to you? I've heard other healthcare professionals tell the story about the chocolate brazils."
"Weeeellll, it might not have." But Tony tells it better than anyone else, and he has some new tales of medical horror to share.

2. Poor Alec, he woke up from his morning nap and I was too busy getting ready to go out for lunch to give him any bub. Now it's an hour after his normal lunch time and he's still waiting to eat. "Bub-bub!" he says, his face flushed red and his eyebrows knotted into ugly angry lumps.
Granny tries to distract him with a toy car: "Brmm brmm. Not bub-bub time, we're in a pub and we're about to have lunch," she says.
"Give him to me," I say. "Of course you can have some bub."
My mother is, I think, a little mortified, but it cheers him up no end, and when the food comes he eats a sausage and a half and an awful lot of mash.

3. Everyone has gone and there is time to sit and look at the beautiful book they brought for him. It has sound-effect buttons, and Alec like moving my finger to the one he thinks is appropriate to a given point in the story.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...