Sunday, February 16, 2014

Compliments, changeable and getting ready for bed.

1. Bettany has had a rough week with her eyes gummed almost shut and a heavy cold that has left her very sad and sorry for herself. She has definitely had fewer compliments than normal -- people always remark on her eyes in particular and it's hard to say anything nice about a face embellished with what Alec calls 'eye bogey'. Anyway, today the espresso bar man compliments her so I know she's on the mend.

2. To watch the sky go from bright blue to dark slate and back again. To nip in for a coffee when it starts to rain. To come out into sunshine and then scamper home, sheltering Bettany from pelting rain.

3. I do secretly like those evenings when Alec is too cross for a bath -- I give him a wipe round with a flannel, do his teeth and coax him into his pyjamas. I always feel particularly maternal when I do this: I am convinced that the extra care and contact soothes him.

Book treasure, worn and speaker.

1. Finding treasure in the Oxfam bookshop. I only popped in to look for a card. 2. Bettany doesn't wear makeup out and about, but noneth...