Monday, June 18, 2007

Father, foliage and tycoon.

1. It's father's day, so there's only one real beautiful thing to mention today! Daddy, thanks for your support and for reading 3BT with your sandwich, and for supplying pictures and advice, and for being as excited as me about what I've achieved here.

2. A string of leaf-shaped fairy lights along the beam.

3. Settling in with a book -- The Birthday Party by Panos Karnezis -- that I know I'm really enjoying. I'm finding the prose in this rise-of-a-tycoon very easy-going. Although there's much not to like about the jealous, wife-beating protagonist who has organised a birthday party for his daughter so he can convince her to abort the child of a man he considers unsuitable, I'm feeling a gruding admiration for him. Also, I was sent this book to review by the publishers, which makes me feel wanted and important.

Book treasure, worn and speaker.

1. Finding treasure in the Oxfam bookshop. I only popped in to look for a card. 2. Bettany doesn't wear makeup out and about, but noneth...