Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Green acres, nightwatch and after the storm.

1a. Today I am 30.

2a. There is a new post up at 12 Old Masters.

3a. My book proposal is one of six shortlisted in the Long Barn Books loo book competition. The results are posted on Susan Hill's blog. I'll hear on 30 June if it has won a publishing contract. I can't stop smiling.

4a. My new favourite riddle: 'A man in Egypt jumps into a river and shouts "I am not wet." Why?' Guesses in the comments, please, and I'll give the official answer tomorrow.

1. My brother has bought me half an acre of rainforest from Cool Earth. I love the idea that there's a little slip of land in Brazil that belongs to me, containing 22 mature hardwoods and thousands of species of insects. The purchase price will be used to pay for rangers from the area and to support income generating schemes that work with the forest rather than against it.

2. Hearing owls -- this reminds me of a line from a Siegfried Sassoon Poem called 'Middle-Ages':
'Owls in the wood were shrill
And the moon sank red.'
And a bat flies over my head, which makes me think of William Blakes' 'Augeries of Innocence':
'The bat that flits at close of eve
Has left the soul that won't believe.'

3. Louise is taking me home after a cheery supper at her parents'. A thunder storm has rolled away and we find ourselves under a sky lit up by silent flashes of lightening. Louise says that she likes it when it is still warm after the rain. 'It's softened the air,' she says.

16 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    I am sure lots of people have told you already, but the 30's are really pretty damned good.

    You know who you are, what your style is and you worry less and enjoy life more.

    Since I turned 30 I have met my husband, started a weird and wonderful new career and relocated to an island of eternal summer.

    Who says life is dull?

    Those could be my three beautiful things for life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1a. Happy Birthday!
    3a. Congratulations!
    4a. Because he's in denial?

    PUss

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday clare!

    keep this in mind:

    "Simon and Schuster will consider all the shortlisted titles for mass market paperback."

    ReplyDelete
  4. in de Nile- Blessed day of your birth and Bonne Chance !!You wear 30 well !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. on "Bats" try D H Lawrence & Ruth Pitter, totally different in approach but both favourites.
    Is the not-wet river to the underworld so he has no body to get wet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, guess you might consider changing the title to 'Three - or four or five or six or seven - Beautiful Things.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all wonderful news! Happy Birthday, and *congratulations* on getting shortlisted! That's awesome, and you totally deserve it! I'm rooting for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Former Housemate! And congratulations on being shortlisted - sounds like this is going to be your year :-) Tim x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy significant birthday Clare! Sounds like you've had a wonderful day.
    Best wishes, Jenny (elsewhere in Tunbridge Wells)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You are so accomplished at your young age.

    The 30's are great. I didn't miss my 20's at all, and I thought I would. Here's to your new decade and book!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only 30? You are too young to be so wise! Happy Birthday!
    (because he is in denial?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Congratulations on all counts! So exciting!

    :@}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Clare,

    Thirty is a brilliant age and its always better to be early-something than late-anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated birthday and congratulations on being named a finalist for the book contest. What great news!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Happy Birthday! This sounds like the most excellent of excellent days (and things will probably get even more excellent). That Cool Earth is such a great idea.

    Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.