Thursday, April 10, 2008

The backs, mystery lady and dressing for dinner.

1. We walk round the backs of the colleges, glancing through curled gates and over moats at gardens and lawns forbidden to us. I imagine this might be the sort of experience that inspired Lewis Carroll to write about Alice longing to get through the tiny gate. One garden in particular was carpeted with spring flowers -- primroses, cowslips and wood anemones, and something blue that I couldn't identify.

2. In a near-empty gallery finding a portrait of Queen Mary I -- who is sometimes rudely called 'The Farmer's Wife' -- looking rather fey. The label in the gallery says that's who it is, and so does my postcard; but the Fitzwilliam Museum catalogue disagrees.

3. Changing for dinner and being told I look lovely.

Coffee, just passing and flowers on the bank.

1. Unexpectedly, a chance for a coffee and a gossip. Our slower times have converged again. 2. I make a short (and rapid so I'm not noti...