Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pine, supermarket and sponge pudding.

1. My mother brings us a little Christmas tree and I dress it with all my tiny decorations. It sparkles and the room already smells of pine.

2. Not really a big supermarket fan -- I don't like coming out with lots more than I intended. Today, Tesco is so full of hard faces and angry voices and sharp elbows and over-filled baskets that I am not tempted at all. I grab the items on my list, pay and leave.

3. I am a bit doubtful about the sponge pudding. My baking skills are really not all that, and we didn't have any fruit so I used syrup instead. But during supper, each time I glance over my shoulder at the oven door I can see it has risen a little more. In the end, I take it out and find it the sponge is fluffy and bright yellow and it's floating in a pool of hot golden syrup.

8 comments:

  1. #2 wondering why people are sharp at holiday same here????

    ReplyDelete
  2. just popping over to wish you a very merry festive period and enjoy the sponge pudding!

    Amelia.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what is sponge pudding? sounds deliteful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3.....MMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Sounds Yummy!

    Merry Christmas Clare and Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sponge pudding is an afters with on top a layer like a baked victoria sponge cake and underneath a layer of (normally) fruit, although in case it was syrup. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered you and I love the idea of recoding 3 things daily . I hate supermarkets at the best of times but they do seem worse at this time of year. I feel so sorry for the poor staff - especially the young studenty ones who are only trying to make a bit of pocket money!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom always made sponge cake and spooned fruit over it. Sometimes we got a dollop of whipped cream.

    Dread

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find US supermarkets, most of which are of a similar size to those in the UK, are almost always much less crowded.

    I'm not a great fan of shopping at all at the best of times, but this makes it more pleasant.

    I do so wish though, that supermarkets here offered the online delivery service that Tesco does; I so miss that!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.