Saturday, June 29, 2013

Birth, reading and all the other things.

1. At 2.44am my face is buried in the sofa cushions and the midwife is telling me to 'blow out baby's birthday cake candles'. A stinging push, a gasp and a reedy newborn cry. Another easier push and...

1a. ...at 2.45am I am holding Bettany Genevieve Law.

1b. Discovering afterwards that Nick was brave enough and strong enough and kind enough to sit behind me with the midwife so he saw Bettany crowning.

2. "You were like three old crones reading the auguries in some entrails," says Nick. After I had delivered the placenta (my notes say 'maternal effort' was the method used) squatting over a blue plastic tray, the midwives talked through the examination with me.

3. The midwife pauses in her stitching. 'Can you actually feel me down here? Clare! Clare! Take a breath of fresh air!' I take the mouthpiece out and giggle. Good old gas and air.

4. I come down from my shower and the midwives have made up the sofa bed: 'We wanted to make it nice for you.'

5. The stream of wellwishers who put their heads round the door or wave at us through the window and the caring comments on our social networks.

6. My mother comes to look after us all and Alec announces firmly that he will be going home with her, so Nick and I get a night alone with Bettany.

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Glad it went smoothly (or at least seemed to go smoothly from these Beautiful Things!) and Bettany Genevieve - what a lovely name! Love to all of you - hope you very much enjoy getting to know each other :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we are definitely nesting -- sleeping and bubbing and gazing at each other but not much else.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to hear from you and know that all is well. Such poetic descriptions! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful things, indeed! Welcome to the world, little Bettany Genevieve.

    And bravo to Alec on taking his wee self off to be pampered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I suddenly thought, better go over and see whether Clare's had her baby yet (the feed I had you on died and I didn't sort out a replacement) and lo you just have, and you don't even miss a 3TB day!

    I can't quite get over Alec's 'The roses are blooming and the baby is coming!', and his decision to go off with your mum, and BG has such a lovely name.

    Congratulations and well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been telling Alec for months that the baby will come when the roses bloom -- just because he didn't really get the concept of 'June or July'.

      Delete
  6. My warmest congratulations to you all. Such beautiful, beautiful things - they made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely wonderful news. Like Alec she came in her own time and so lovely that you had her at home. I love the names too. Fondest Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  8. She sounds lovely and I'm glad that Alec loves her, too. Congratulations to all of you.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.