Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Collection, snails and tantrum.

1. Alec empties his cabinet of curiosities on to the floor. He tries to cram all the stones, shells, ribbons, badges, elastic bands and small toys into one of its sixteen little boxes.

2. Collecting snails is very satisfying now I've got my eye in and know the sorts of places they hide during the day. I should probably do something meaner than putting them in the compost sack though.

3. It's unkind to laugh at tantrums, but I find it hard to suppress a chuckle when Alec howls at Nick that he wants his mummy, and then at me because he wants his daddy. What he really wants is a sleep, but he will never admit this.

7 comments:

  1. Tantrums really are funny, if you can keep from feeling that you have to fix them. (They are less funny when they wake a sleeping younger sibling.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, got all the sleeping siblings to come. That's a good way of looking at it, though, Wordfiend. Mostly the things Alec asks for are nothing anyone can fix. It's just his brain re-wiring to cope with anger and disappointment and rage.

      Delete
  2. At least he has them at home, like my two, rather than out. One of mine tried once in a supermarket like her friend & gave up very fast when I hid behind a mountain of bean tins. I wasn't sure if the old ladies (about my age now) were tutting the tantrum or my obvious inability to cope with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible when people tut. They should try being two and see how they like it! I try to ignore them by hiding in the same parenting bubble I use if I have to do public nursing.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, his collection probably has grown beyond sixteen boxes, time for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping he'll lose interest in certain categories to free up space! It's a thing like this but all the boxes are different colours. There is a 30-box version available, though...

      Delete
  4. . . . so the proper way to laugh is while hiding, perhaps behind a mountain of tins . . . ?
    I do remember times when I had to try to hide laughter when students did/said inappropriate things of which I had to officially disapprove . . .
    I love that you have a sense of humor about the trials of life, and sometimes remember to emulate you.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.