Thursday, June 13, 2013

Melon, not cleaning up and easily confused.

All you UK parents and grandparents, please consider signing this petition to keep sales reps out of post-natal wards where they hassle and distress new parents. Here are some details about the campaign on Mumsnet and here's the petition.

1a. Alec climbs out of bed and walks off clutching a pillow that is the same size as his body. He says that it's hay for his horse. I find it later in the bathroom.

1. A cooling slice of perfectly ripe melon.

2. I tend not to deal with food that Alec rejects until the end of the day. This is why. At supper time he asked for the ho' chocola' he didn't finish at breakfast. 'It's cold chocolate milk now,' I told him as I handed him the cup.
He drank it down in one. 'Thank you much, Mummy.'

3. I find myself explaining that a woman horse is indeed called a mare, but this is not the same as the 'mayor wife' who Alec saw at the fire station open day on Saturday.
'What a little girl horse?'
'A filly, I think.'
Then, with a lot of hope in his voice, 'Do you have a filly in your tummy?'

6 comments:

  1. I wish I were a UK parent, so I could sign that petition. Horrific idea.

    And I think it's very nice that Alec is taking such good care of his horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alec's hope that you have a little horse in your tummy. A friend's little boy hoped for a labrador. Sadly he was disappointed when a baby sister arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not in the UK, but I remember when I was in hospital in Australia a few hours after having my first baby (which took three sleepless days) a woman came in and clearly wanted some kind of response from me but I was too dazed and exhausted to have any idea what she was talking about. I eventually sent her away and told her she needed to talk to my husband. She left brochures, turned out she was a photographer who was offering to take very expensive photos of my newborn. Presumably with the permission of the hospital. Glad I didn't sign anything in my brain-dead state.

    There were enough people going in and out of my room - doctors, midwives, cleaners, people with food menus, people delivering meals, visitors - that I really resented that one more! And I would have fought it in court if she had got money out of me in my vulnerable state.

    So sign that petition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've signed the petition.
    I laughed at number 3. Do you remember My Little Ponies?
    Our eldest son, Toby, had one and loved it. For his Best Man speech, middle son, Harry, got hold of one and regaled the audience with tales of how Toby took it everywhere with him when he was five. Toby took it in good spirit - he's still a lovely softie at 29!

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad he is taking care of his horse. And sorry he isn't getting another one (but I think a sibling is better anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in Australia but we get hassled here too. The worst part is they give you this "bag of goodies" which is 100% advertising, charading as baby information for new parents - I actually complained when I discovered a whole magazine in there devoted to "covering/operating on birth scars so no one will ever know you gave birth". Disgusting!
    I hope you are successful over there as we haven't been so far here (too much money invovled).

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.