Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spiced apple juice, winter purslane and removal.

1. A polystyrene cup of hot spiced apple juice to warm my hands on a rather wintery March day.

The leaves and flowers of winter purslane
Winter Purslane: photo by Curtis Clark via Wikimedia Commons
2. The salad man has winter purslane. I have a weakness for soft leaves, such as this and lamb's lettuce. Winter purslane's bizarre appearance -- the leaves grow around the flowers like a dog's surgical ruff -- appeals to me because it looks somehow unfoodlike and it makes me think it might have fallen from another planet.

3. After lunch I announce that I will be removing myself to the sitting room with a Cadbury's Creme Egg and the new Interzone. I manage to read the editor's letter and one (very short) story before I am interrupted.

3b. We are watching Green Balloon Club on Cbeebies -- its a nature programme with child presenters. Alec tugs my arm. "You know the girl, the girl in the yellow jacket? She a big girl."
I clarify which of the presenters he means -- it's the youngest, blondest girl.
"Her! I LOVE HER," he shouts and then runs behind the sofa.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...