Friday, March 16, 2012

Show me, tell me and sitting down.

1. Last night Alec pulled out one of my childcare books and examined the pictures of feeding babies with some interest and a fair bit of delight. I thought he might like to look at some others, so we sit and check out some relevant boards on Pinterest. "Dad-dad," says Alec.
"Where? Show me."
He takes my hand, and puts it on a picture of breastfeeding expert Dr Jack Newman. I add it to our growing collection.

2. I'm cooking lunch, and Alec is having his usual 11.45 grump. At a suitable break, I tell him we can have a cuddle now. He pulls out a kitchen chair for me to sit down and says: "Bub-bub."

3. "We will be sitting down by 8.30 at this rate," I tell Nick. And sure enough, we are -- and better still, we're in bed by 9.45.

(Sorry for so many Alec beautiful things -- I'm just blown away by the communicating. I can't get over the way he's changed from this angry, shouting little thing who didn't like anything to a person who knows what he wants and can ask for it.)

Bud vase, tomato and the poem I needed to hear.

1. Among the faded cut daffodils that I'm putting on the compost heap there is one that will do for another day in a bud vase. 2. For th...