Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Back to bed, bumble bees and sheltered spot.

1. To send a tired husband back to bed: his breakfast can wait.

2. There are bumble bees about: Alec spots one by the river. I see another investigating a sunny wall at the castle. And at home there is a third hanging hopefully around our jasmine bush.

3. It's sunny sometimes today but the wind is brisk. While I wait for Nick and Alec to wear themselves out at Tonbridge Castle I stand in a sheltered sun-warmed fold in the wall. I try to imagine some of people who have been appreciating the same spot since the 13th century. Most recently I've seen a man in a mobility scooter sitting here on the warmer Mondays. At that moment he comes round the corner.

Poached egg, acer and bramble.

1. Carefully opening my poached egg so the yolk runs on to the toast. 2. The acer tree -- lime green edged with crimson. 3. Bramble shoots, ...