Friday, April 12, 2013

Water, going to sleep and he did want a nap.

1. "That's a nasty cough," says the waitress. "Glass of tap water?"

2. I reject a miserable afternoon in which I spend all my energy on staying awake and feeling guilty about not getting anything done.

3. When I dropped Alec at nursery he was adamant that he did not want a nap. When I pick him up they laugh. "He slept for an hour and went off in about five minutes." When I ask what their secret trick for getting him off to sleep is I am told that they stroke him between the eyes. "It works with all the children. Their eyes get heavy after just a few minutes."

6 comments:

  1. About that last one: No kidding? I wish I had known that years ago! Now I'm all fresh out of sweet babies and rebellious toddlers...and my patience has taken some hits in all my years of stress over proper sleep schedules.
    I'll have to pass it on for my grandbabies someday ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think also a room full of sleeping children helps him get into the mood. The nose stroking doesn't work for me -- he likes to nurse himself to sleep with me. But I'm going to tell everyone else who puts him down for a nap!

      We've never bothered with a schedule -- he goes down when he has a tired face and starts making unreasonable demands. Sometimes that means a nap in the morning, sometimes a nap in the afternoon and sometimes (give me strength) no nap at all.

      Delete
  2. I've just remembered that move. Also gentle stroking of feet, hands, head or back, whichever they prefer can help (or for you - perhaps Alec would do it for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps remember you are doing a fantastic job. Be kind to yourself - you deserve it.
    Lots of love,

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison. I love it when Alec does his soothing moves on me. My favourite was once when I was in the bath and tipped cups of warm water down my back saying "I'm pouring water on my darling darling Mummy."

      Delete
  4. I remember rubbing little backs when I taught at a daycare center . . . and that lovely moment when breath became slow with sleep and it was time to move on to another. Some of the children protested that they didn't get a back rub because they fell asleep too quickly.
    Alec is just so sweet taking care of you. They do reflect back what they see and hear and feel . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.