Monday, May 23, 2011

Seven, lettuce and game.

1. On the way home from our second trip to the food festival, we meet Plutarch on his way down there. Nick says with satisfaction: "We ran into seven separate groups of people we know."

2. It's as if my lettuce bed has burst into green flames.

3. Nick's to do list for the weekend included sequestering himself in his attic to open a new game. Last thing, he announces that he is going upstairs to say good night to it, I decide that I'd better go and see for myself. It is based on the Battle of Borodino of 1812. He shows me the counters, which are printed in the colours of the different uniforms. Apparently, the corners of each counter were to have taken the colours of the men's socks, only a small-but-vocal faction of gamers who clip the corners off their counters put a stop to that idea.

Done, moon and Irish fairy tales.

1. A meeting that is over by 9.30am. 2. A big full moon is stuck on next door's chimney pots. 3. By my bed is a large and comforting boo...