Sunday, July 10, 2011

Porridge, doughnuts and Malteasers.

1. A bowl of hot porridge. (I have loathed porridge (sticky, slimy, glutinous oats and hot milk, ugh) my entire life -- and suddenly I can't get enough of it. I think it's something to do with all the pulpy foods we're spooning into Alec.)

2. Our greengrocer now sells bread -- and the occasional cake. Today there is a tight-packed tray of soft, fresh terracotta-coloured doughnuts. The world is full of disappointing doughnuts (stale, chilled from the freezer, damp, dusted with icing sugar -- I'm still resentful, Grey College Durham, 1995-1998; rancid oil taint -- Greggs, I'm looking at you) so I make a point of buying and devouring any good ones that I come across. This one is excellent -- crisp and soft and new bread chewy with garnet red jam.

3. Sucking the chocolate off a Malteaser, and letting the centre fizzle away on my tongue.

Eggshell, turkey oak and grateful.

1. Smacking a hardboiled egg to break the shell. 2. Pale green leaves on the huge oak tree at the corner of The Grove. 3. There is nothing q...