Thursday, July 07, 2011

Reading, giggling and last feed.

1. Now that Alec is bigger, I can read while I feed him -- ain't life grand! This morning I finish off the book Rosey gave me for my birthday, The House of Many Ways by the much-missed Diana Wynne Jones. It has her usual, satisfying click-into-place ending. I also forge ahead with Annie Proulx's Accordian Crimes. Her books make me want to be a better, braver writer, who isn't afraid of dark places.

2. From the hall I hear a familiar giggle -- but that can't be my son, because he's in a very grumpy mood today. But it is -- Charlie is tickling him, and he's having hysterics.

3. I've started eating my supper early with Alec. Once his bedtimes were horrible -- I'd be on edge because I was ravenous, and he'd be on edge, too, and sometimes I'd still be sitting there at nearly 9pm. Now the last feed is a calm, dozy time. In the dim light I read a little, dream a little, snooze a little. Alec's eyes droop, his sucking slows and he drifts gently off to sleep. At about twenty past eight I lay him in his cot and go downstairs to join Nick.

Poached egg, acer and bramble.

1. Carefully opening my poached egg so the yolk runs on to the toast. 2. The acer tree -- lime green edged with crimson. 3. Bramble shoots, ...