Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Adaptation, can do and when monkeys attack.

1. I was totally determined to do homemade Midwinter cards this year. I designed them; bought the card; created a house moving announcement that would fit in the envelopes; bought new printer ink... and then discovered that my up-until-now saintly printer prefers not to work with card. The beautiful thing in this festive drama is the moment I decided that I wasn't going to die on this mound and redesigned the cards and moving announcement to fit on a sheet of A4 paper folded into quarters.

2. Running against a problem at work and feeling that I can resolve it.

3. Madie and I decide on a New Year's resolution. We are not going to feel rejected when we ring people and they say they are too busy to talk to us. They don't mean that they don't want to talk to us ever -- they are merely too busy to talk right now this minute. To underline our intention, we will only feel rejected if:

  • Monkeys in the zoo point and laugh at us
  • The sun moves a cloud over us so that it doesn't have to shine on us
  • When we walk under street lamps they go out so other people don't have to see us
  • Rain falls around us because it doesn't want to touch us.

10 comments:

  1. Whoa! That street light thing happens to me all the time. I guess I should start worrying!

    It is a busy time of the year, and sometimes the timing is just off. My sister does that to me sometimes, because she knows if she starts talking to me, she will talk for more than an hour. If your friends call you back when they get the time, then its ok. If they don't, it is time to get new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare, you are a marvel! Your dogged determination to find a particle of lightness in an otherwise (often relentlessly) frustrating world is admirable. Be sure to reward yourself in some way today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. monkeys aren't suppose to point and laugh? oh,

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Forgving a friend
    2. Letting go of angst
    3. Trusting yourself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. #3 is one for the ages! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should change your site's name to "Three banal things that have happened to me today, that I have used as an excuse to write verbose nonsense, that I feel gives the impression I am both sensitive and intelligent."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelina -- apparently it's quite common! It's supposed to be to do with psychic powers. Maybe you'd better make yourself a different rejection rule!

    Stella -- Thanks! I could do with something encouraging. I'll try to think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Monkey comment made me laugh out loud, and since I am in public at the moment, people are looking at me as though I am quite insane. You're such a wonderful thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think you should only REALLY feel rejected if octopi at the aquarium point and laugh at you. ... or maybe you should feel special because you were the impetus for some sort of evolutionary break through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice things today, Clare - I know I can always count on you to make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.