Sunday, December 31, 2006

Gale, DIY and witches.

1. The wind and rain woke me at 2am and I couldn't get back to sleep so I played Morrowind until 5am. After that, knowing that there were fewer Ash Zombies, priests of Dagoth Ur and Cliff Racers on Vvardenfell because of me and my glass longsword Magebane, I slept well.

2. My father describing his work on my French windows as 'vampire-proofing'.

3. Terry Pratchett's latest -- Wintersmith. I finished it last night, and I decided one of the things I really like about the Tiffany books is that although she is a very self-assured, competant and powerful witch, the reader never forgets that she is also a young teenager who enjoys letters from her mother, a paintbox and spending afternoon not knowing what to say to Roland-who-is-not-her-young-man. And although she has complete professional confidence as a witch, she has moments of self-doubt which she overcomes in a very human fashion.

5 comments:

  1. Clare,
    Happy New Year, thanks for the blog and congrats on the new flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so delighted to find this blog. It's truly inspirational for me. This is my post that led to the comment by JTB that led to your blog. I'm going to try to start each post now with 3BT, even if not every day.
    http://feminary.blogspot.com/2006/12/funky.html

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh - done #1 a few times m'self. :)

    Happy New Year, Clare, and thanks for all the beautiful things - I look forward to them, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog. I was telling my husband how wonderful it is that those of us who can list Three Rotten Things more easily can borrow your Three Beautifuls and balance things out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clare, have you read the Bartimaeus trilogy? My daughter and I just finished it and it is quite absorbing. A different take on magic and its users.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Moderation is switched on: don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't appear right away.