Monday, June 09, 2008

English weather, a sweet spot and escape from the garden.

1. It is a day of tight hard shadows and strong light. I think it's too near noon for walking up the hill, but I need my half of the book for proofreading. The light is hot and bright, but the air is cool, which makes me glad to be in England.

2. I hear music from Oli's yard. He is sitting in the half-shade with a jug of juice and his guitar.

3. A fence on a brick wall divides the dust and roar of the road from someone's home. At eye height, a row of tiny strawberry plants has crept under the fence to offer strangers refreshment for mouth and eyes: sweet scarlet fruit on spindly stems.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...