Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pull, willow and talking on the train.

1. To walk in the garden and pull out a few strands of bindweed. "It's satisfying," says Cat, and it is. Later she comments: "I want them to gorge themselves on blackberries."

2. To duck under the branches of a weeping willow on a very hot day.

2b. We come to Tulse Hill after a long walk in the parched afternoon. I sit down, with Alec still in the backpack and get the water out. He takes his cup over my shoulder, saying in a pitiful tone: "Tea!"

3. When we get to London Bridge, the lady with the box of chicken and chips, and the lady with the euphonium say "It's been good talking to you" and I tell them the same.

Morning, errands and entertainment.

1. I murmur an acknowledging greeting to a passing bin man. He is a well brought-up African and replies with eye contact and a warm 'Goo...