Sunday, April 08, 2012

The rest, blow your nose and treasures.

1. "You have a rest," says Nick as he takes Alec down to breakfast. So I let my whole self sink back into bed, and the next thing I know, it's two and half hours later.

2. Alec is rummaging in my bra while he has some milk. He pulls out my handkerchief -- he often does this so he can wave it around. This time, however, he takes himself off (with an audible plop), holds the handkerchief to my nipple and makes nose blowing noises.

3. When I turn the compost I find strange treasures -- a waxy orange centipede that might be a tiny angry dragon; a stem of lacy stars that were once tomato calyxes; a tangle of yellow roots that breathe mint.

Box of books, lighter coat and child asleep.

1. There is a heavy box of new books waiting on the stairs. 2.  There's a warmth to the air that makes me wonder if I should have put on...